Marriott International – Bethesda, MD
Design is a life love, not just a job. It is in fact a physical manifestation of our brands. Candidates should have great creative vision and be a strategic thinker who can understand and engage with a wide variety of other disciplines and external owners/project managers. The primary focus of the position is our Marriott Select Brands – AC, Aloft, Courtyard, Element, Fairfield Inn, Four Points, Moxy, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites & TownePlace Suite hotels.
On a project / tactical level, the successful candidate for this position provides design quality assurance and design management services and manages all aspects of franchised, managed, or corporate projects for new construction, conversion, or adaptive re-use. This individual has a passion for hospitality design and is able to inspire internal and external participants to create design solutions that thrill guests and align with brand strategy. The atmosphere within the team is collaborative, creative, demanding and fun with opportunities for growth within Global Design. This is your unique chance to make your mark and position yourself on the leading edge of hospitality design.
- Supervise, direct, motivate, and train assigned staff and outside consultants as necessary.
- Track and maintain project data and milestones utilizing a database tool.
- Represent department to both external and internal clients and foster positive and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Provide technical reviews of drawings and other submittals from owners or franchisees for franchised or managed projects to ensure conformance with brand design standards, including:
- franchise approval (pre-development committee site plan review)
- preliminary design approval
- construction document approval
- Provide conceptual design studies, sketch plans, and criteria/facilities programs for projects as required.
- Apply design talent to problem solving design exercises to achieve cost efficient results that align with the brand standards and the brand strategy.
- Participate in applying lessons learned from prior projects to current/future projects.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal disciplines to ensure the integration of relevant input in project reviews.
- Coordinate review/approval (with participation from appropriate disciplines) of variances from brand standards requested by owners due to specific project circumstances.
- Provide information, interpretation, and guidance to outside owners and their consultants, as well as internal design and construction staff, for adapting brand standards to specific projects.
- Lead conversion scope site visits and prepare Property Improvement Plans (PIPs).
- Maintain and update project review templates and quality control checklists.
- Prepare recommendations for design changes to address customer satisfaction data, operational concerns, brand initiatives, and development strategies.
- Assist Product Development team in the maintenance and development of brand prototype documentation. Assist in value engineering proposals and subsequent design guide revisions.
- Maintain clear communication with all department management levels and advise/consult on sensitive owner or project issues.
- Potential Travel: US / Canada – Up to 30% travel is anticipated for this position.
- Manage time allocation on projects in accordance with specific project budgets, deadlines, and/or direction established by Senior Management.
- Reports to Senior Managers / Directors for policy guidance, methods, and systems support matters. Supports Senior Managers / Directors in monitoring, reviewing, and expediting drawing submittals.
- Knowledgeable about innovation & trends both in & outside of industry
- Strong business acumen
- Problem solving & creative solution skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships.
- Customer service skills
- Ability to negotiate and be flexible when appropriate.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well in a high volume, fast-paced environment as a member of a collaborative team.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, engineering, and mechanical drawings.
- Multiple project management skills
- Good architectural design skills, technical and project management skills
- Good conceptual design/freehand sketching and/or digital presentation abilities
- Proficient in Bluebeam, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and project management software is required. Skills in Revit, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), and Sketchup are desired but not required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in architecture at a design firm for large commercial or hospitality projects
- Architectural license or preparing for architectural licensing exam preferred.
Please apply online at: https://jobs.marriott.com/corporate/jobs/23179804?lang=en-US
|Company Name:||Marriott International|
|Website:||Please apply online at: https://jobs.marriott.com/corporate/jobs/23179804?lang=en-US|
|Job Title:||Design Manager - Marriott Select Brands|
|Must Manage Others:||Yes|
|Date Published:||November 1, 2023|